12 June 2011

"WHAT IF" JULIET ...

A moment for a great movie!
I have my own favourite little library of movies that always make me feel good. And now added to the list will be Letters to Juliet. Juliet? Oh My...don't say that she's referred to that Shakespeare's heroin? Unbelievable! I never thought of liking any of Shakespeare's pieces and *those related* until I watched Letters to Juliet this week (credits to HBO channel) huhu. It is a 2010 American romantic comedy drama film. This was the final film of director Gary Winick before he died of brain cancer. =(
Sweet Juliet, of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, not only isn't dead, she's answering letters from the lovelorn. Romeo? Well, no one writes to him for advice. But Juliet — she has secretaries. She has an old house in Verona, with a balcony, and every year people come to visit the house and balcony, then leaving notes to Juliet on nearby walls. For more than 70 years, her "secretaries," as they are called, all volunteers from Verona, have collected the notes and the letters that arrive in the mail by the thousands, and then they write back. To every single letter writer who gives an address.
by Maria Puente, USA Today.

this is JULIET's balcony...and as you can see,
 thousands of letters posted on the wall yep
As for the story, it takes place in New York and Italy. Verona, home of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. It seems that women come from all over to write letters to Juliet for love adviceThe secretaries of Juliet are a group of women who answer these letters. The story begins when the character played by Amanda Seyfriend finds a love letter dating back to 1957. She writes to Claire, the character played by Vanessa Redgrave, and the rest is told in this lovely film. It is a delightful movie to watch for its beautiful scenes of Italy and also to see the stately beauty of both heroines of the film.

The 'secretaries' of Juliet...

picking up the letters *curious*

the first task!

she's so beautiful uh! *sigh

 Sophie's precious moments with Claire...*forgot to mention her name earlier* wink2



and so with Claire's grandson...that lead them into another love story.


despite of already having a fiance...jeng jeng jeng...

Anyway,.....if you’re looking for a romantic movie with a good ending (heck, make that two!), this is definitely one you should watch! By the way, I loved the reply from Juliet to Claire – it’s so beautiful and it just really warms your heart knowing the ending of the story.
Here’s Claire’s letter to Juliet
I didn’t go to him, Juliet.
I didn’t go to Lorenzo. His eyes were so full of trust. I promised I’d meet him to run away together, because my parents don’t approve. But instead, I left him, waiting for me, below our tree, waiting and wondering where I was.
I’m in Verona now, I return to London in the morning, and I’m so afraid.
Please, Juliet, tell me what I should do… My heart is breaking and I have no one else to turn to.
Love,
Claire
And Juliet’s reply to Claire:
Dear Claire,
"What" and "if" are two words as non-threatening as words can be, but put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life. What if? What if? What if?
I don’t know how your story ended, but if what you felt then was true love, then it’s never too late; if it was true then… why wouldn’t it be true now? You need only the courage to follow you heart.
I don’t know what a love like Juliet’s feels like; a love to leave loved ones for, a love to cross oceans for, but I’d like to believe if I ever were to feel it, that I’d have to courage to seise it.
And Claire if you didn’t, I hope one day that you will.
All my love,
Juliet
Now that I believe that William Shakespeare was an amazing author. To turn a tragic story into a great thing. And most amazingly, he inspired people to write another great story like this. He's truly an art~ I do know that I would highly recommend Letters To Juliet to anyone.  The ending? Well that is classic and though it may be somewhat predictable, no less romantic.  but somehow, there is a part that spoiled my mood a bit...I'm not sure about the others,cause for me, its totally ridiculous! but still, most women would like it so much, romantic...yaa..*believe in fairytales* 
seriously, you dont have to do that..come on, this is 2011 !

and now, I'm looking forward a copy of this :

*wonder if I could get this for my birthday present...haaihh..
p/s: who knows someday I would write to Juliet...ngeee..

No comments:

Post a Comment